Etsy

Friday, March 8, 2013

I Love to Cook!

If I didn't why would I have started a blog about it? 

I have an aunt who also loves to cook, but it seems no one else in my family does.  No one at all in hubby's family.  I have learned, and it makes sense, that if a person doesn't like to cook, they're usually not very good at it.  Not that it's difficult, but when something is a chore that you just want to get over and done with, you generally don't put much effort into it.  Like me when I have to, say, make the bed.  *since the president probably won't be stopping by, I call closing the bedroom door "making the bed" a bit too often*  I think I said in my first post that I hated housework. 

I admit, I'm a bit of a food snob.  I do NOT consider boxed skillet "dinners" food.  They're crap I keep around (a box or two) for those days when I, for one reason or another, just don't feel up to cooking.  But even then, there are so many things you can throw together quickly and don't need to slave over.

Like...chili!

This is my chili recipe and I have yet to find anyone who doesn't like it.  Well, except for those people who just don't like chili...
The spices are educated guesses as I don't measure them when I make chili.  It makes a medium hot chili, so adjust them to your tastes.  Most of us think it's just right, but when our oldest son comes home on leave, he adds cayenne and hot sauce (of course he would add that to almost anything =Þ)

Rachel's Chili

2 pounds ground beef (or turkey)
2 medium onions, chopped
2 cans chili beans in gravy
1 can spicy chili beans in gravy
1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 15oz can tomato sauce
2 15 ounce cans tomatoes (I use diced, but use whatever kind you like)
2 T Tony Chachere's Cajun Seasoning (I prefer this because it adds heat as well as a LOT of flavor)
4 T chili powder
1/2 t. crushed red pepper
1/8 t. cayenne
1/4 t. garlic powder

In a large pot, brown meat until no longer pink, drain and return to pot.
Add all beans, tomato sauce, and tomatoes.  Stir to combine.
Add seasonings and mix well.
Simmer over medium-low heat for at least 2 hours, tasting and adding onions after 30 minutes to test the seasonings, and add more if needed.
Serve with crackers, cornbread, and/or cheddar cheese.

I like to add the onions while simmering the chili so they aren't too soft when the chili is done.  If you prefer them soft, add them with the meat while browning it.  If you prefer them really crunchy, add them at the very end.  Or, you can add some early and some late if you like them both ways!

No comments:

Post a Comment