Etsy

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting

I've never made a real carrot cake before.  You know, not from a box, with real carrots in it.  Every recipe I looked up wanted me to use 3 round cake pans and I only have 2.  I rarely use them, why would I go buy another?  I'm a lazy baker.  I would rather use a 9 x 13" pan or a bundt.  Making a bunch of layers, hoping they all come out of the pans in one piece, then messing with frosting all the layers.  Blah.  So, I found a few that I liked, mixed and matched, and used my bundt pan.  Pretty good!  Think next time I'll add a little more cinnamon...or maybe a touch of nutmeg?  Cloves?  I dunno.  But it's very good this way, too.  Sometimes the carrots are overpowered by the spices, so  I dunno.

I had it timed just right, too.  I had taken the cake from the oven, not yet turned the oven off, when the flippin power went out!  Was out from 5 - 8:30 pm!  Grrr  Ended up ordering Chinese for dinner because all the cheaper places on our side of the river were without power.

I admit, I didn't make the frosting.  I was too frustrated with the lack of electricity, so I used a canister of cream cheese frosting I had in the cupboard.  This recipe includes a recipe for the frosting.

Carrot Cake and Cream Cheese Frosting


Cake:

  • 2 cups granulated sugar
  • 1 cup vegetable oil
  • 4 whole eggs
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 cups grated carrots
  • Butter, for greasing
  •  

Icing:

  • 1 stick butter, softened
  • 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
  • 1 pound powdered sugar
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 cup pecans, chopped finely

 

For the cake: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Mix together the granulated sugar, oil and eggs in a large bowl. In another bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Add the flour mixture to the sugar mixture and combine. Then add the carrots and mix well. Pour the batter into a greased and floured Bundt pan and bake until done, about 50 minutes. Leave to cool completely.



Meanwhile, for the icing: In a larger bowl, cream the butter and cream cheese together. Add the powdered sugar and vanilla and blend. Then mix in the pecans. Spread the icing on the cooled carrot cake.




Since I didn't use the frosting recipe, my pictures don't have the pecans on it, either.

No comments:

Post a Comment