Etsy

Monday, October 31, 2016

Goulash!

We have lived in Iowa for seven years now and, until now, I haven't made goulash. I *love* goulash. So why haven't I made it? Because my dear husband said he didn't like it. My dear husband who claims not to be picky. Yeah. I made it while we lived in Utah because he worked 6pm to 6am and rarely had time to eat anything more than a bag of chips. He's been on days since we moved, so I try to accommodate. But, enough was enough!

I never liked goulash as a kid. What my mom called goulash, anyway. Macaroni and hamburger with stewed tomatoes and tomato sauce. I loved my mom, don't get me wrong, but cooking wasn't her thing. She hated cooking, but did it because she was wife and mom, and she considered it her job not to let us starve. I learned to cook early in self defense!

My goulash starts a bit differently than most. I found a recipe online about fifteen years ago that had you cook the pasta in tomato juice rather than water. Makes ALL the difference! I lost that recipe long ago, but remember that part. This way, the tomato flavor is IN the macaroni, not just on it. The flavor is much richer. This makes a big pot, so feel free to halve it!

Oh, and Mr I Don't Like Goulash? Ate two helpings.


Goulash

2 lbs lean ground beef
16 oz uncooked macaroni
1 can corn, drained (frozen may be used, thaw first)
1 large can tomatoes (stewed, diced, whole, whatever you like), undrained
46 oz tomato juice (V8 may be used if you like)
1 large onion, chopped
2 T paprika
1 t salt
1 t black pepper
1/2 t garlic powder (NOT garlic salt!)
1/2 t onion powder (NOT onion salt!)

In a large skillet, cook beef and onions. Drain and rinse. Set aside.

In a large pot, heat tomato juice and macaroni over medium high heat. Add tomatoes, corn, and seasonings. Stir often to prevent the pasta from sticking to the bottom of the pan. The macaroni will absorb most of the juice as it cooks.

When the pasta is tender, add the beef and onions. Turn heat to medium low, stirring often, until beef and onions are hot.

Serve with a sprinkle of cheddar cheese on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment