Etsy

Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Grilled Shoyu Chicken

Chicken was on sale, so my freezer is full! Love getting just thighs rather than leg quarters. Fewer bones. Anyway, that meant I needed some good recipes! I've made this before, but not for a long time, and it was def a hit!

I was going to just throw it in the oven, then hubs came in and asked if I wanted him to grill it. Awww shucks! Ya twisted my arm!

The whole back yard smelled heavenly!  He said the neighbor, who was trimming some bushes, was sniffing our way the whole time, too!  Gotta love making something so good that just the smell has the neighbors jealous!

Made cheddar mashed potatoes and he threw some corn on the cob on the grill, too. I had my corn after the chicken and potatoes because I loveeee corn on the cob and didn't want chicken and potatoes on it.

Grilled Shoyu Chicken

Chicken pieces to feed everyone (bones in or out, but adjust cooking time for boneless), skin removed
1 C water
1 C soy sauce
1 C brown sugar
1 small onion, chopped
2 cloves minced garlic
1 t pepper
1 T paprika
1/4 t crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 t ginger

Combine everything except the chicken in a ziploc or large bowl and mix well.  Add chicken, making sure the meaty sides are covered. Chill 1 hour.

Place meat on heated grill, turned medium low. For bone in chicken, cook about an hour, or until juices run clear.  For boneless, cook about 30 minutes, or till juices run clear.

This can also be baked at 350 for about the same cook times listed above.

Hubby brushed the marinade over the meat as it cooked. Just remember to never use marinade that has had raw meat soaking in it unless it is to baste meat that is still cooking or place the marinade in a pan and bring it to a boil, then let it boil 5 minutes, before using! Otherwise, you may well get food poisoning.

The potatoes in the pic were just mashed with milk and butter. Then I added some salt and 2 cups of shredded cheddar.

No comments:

Post a Comment